[plug] SAMBA on Fedora Core 4

James Drysdale drysdale at swiftdsl.com.au
Sun Sep 25 19:52:14 WST 2005

Well it's been a couple of weeks since my previous post, and thanks for the replies, I've just been busy with work and study.
And family issues. When was the last time you have a family member come out of cancer surgery with no anesthaesia? Here in Perth! I can't even begin to describe.... Bloody sick!

Also wanted to make sure I exhausted all solutions before reposting.

Anyway,

DANIEL AXTENS,
I checked /etc/fstab, entries for the 2 other drives were not there.
However, since I added them, Fedora tells me in its startup routine that the devices "hdc1" & "hdd1" are already mounted under "/mnt/dir" & "/mnt/backups" respectively.

I posted the file to my website here:
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~drysdale/samba/fstab

The system-config-samba utility is the one I had used to add the user "home", the only other user besides "root". I wanted the other Windows users to use the user "home", but have now gone with creating a Linux user for each Windows user. 7 users in total. I thought that be more straighforward.

The "/mnt/dir" and "/mnt/backups" directories have read/write/execute priviledges for both the owner and group. By the way, the owner is the "home" user which exists only on Fedora. This home user and the other 7 users are under the same group "family".

MIKE HOLLAND,
I removed "nobody" from the equation, I though nobody literally meant nobody, as in available-to-everyone access. Nobody still exists, he just doesn't own anything.

The permissions for the 2 directories/drives that I want to share are 775. How did you mean to set 644 for files? I set the permissions at 775 on the top level directories.
Owner: read/write/execute
Group: read/write/execute
Others: read/execute

And windows users map to linux users now. As in "Jessie" on windows = "jessie" on linux. Or at least I am trying to get them to....

CRAIG RINGER,
Thanks for the lengthy reply :-)

First off, I have posted my "/etc/samba/smb.conf" and "/etc/samba/smbusers" to my website: http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~drysdale/samba/

Now, all users have been created using Fedora's "Users and Groups" GUI.

When browsing Network Neighborhood in windows, the icon for the server computer appears, I double click and am presented with a login box. No username/password combo gets through. There is no message, the login box just reappears after each attempt.

After reading what you wrote about Windows encrypting passwords differently to Unix systems, I then used "smbpasswd" to set the passwords for the users. Is this supposed to resolve the incompatibility. Anyway, no success.

CAMERON PATRICK,
The directory permissions are set as described above in the response for Mike Holland. Is this what you meant?
Also, I am not 100% on "sticky bits" and what they do/what they are for.

IN SUMMARY.........
I have simply set the two master directories which I want to share to allow full access to the owner and the user group of "family" which all other 7 windows users are under.

However, I can't even see what shares are listed from windows as no user can log in.

When I had Samba set to "share", then I was able to se the listed shares, but could not access them - insufficient priviledges. For everything set to "share"? That is what led me to believe that it was not Samba that needed configuring.

When it WAS share access, shares that were located on the system drive could be accessed, but not shares on the other 2 drives. But if the permissions on /mnt/***whatever***..... are set to allow any access, why is this so?