[plug] Split a 1.3GB file in half

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Wed Sep 28 11:49:10 WST 2005

Matthew Lambie wrote:
> Gurus,
>
> What's the easiest way for me to chop a 1.3GB file

Grovelling Newbie,
I've asked about this before, and there is no way to split a large file
in place. So the gurus told me. You need to copy the second half (use
tail) and truncate the original. Or just copy it with 'head', as 1.3G
aint all that big.

> (2 hr MP3 decoded
> back into WAV) in half?

Then it won't work. You cannot just split a WAV file as they have
headers. But you can do it to the original mp3, then decode the
halves separately. ie just like Jonathan said, but no need for
a sound editor.

See the head(1) and tail(1) man pages, especially the -c option.