[plug] Split a 1.3GB file in half

Matthew Lambie mlambie at thefrontiergroup.com.au
Wed Sep 28 14:29:48 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 11:49 +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> Matthew Lambie wrote:
> > Gurus,
> >
> > What's the easiest way for me to chop a 1.3GB file
>
> Grovelling Newbie,
> I've asked about this before, and there is no way to split a large file
> in place. So the gurus told me. You need to copy the second half (use
> tail) and truncate the original. Or just copy it with 'head', as 1.3G
> aint all that big.
>
> > (2 hr MP3 decoded
> > back into WAV) in half?
>
> Then it won't work. You cannot just split a WAV file as they have
> headers. But you can do it to the original mp3, then decode the
> halves separately. ie just like Jonathan said, but no need for
> a sound editor.

I thought it was the other way around: that WAV files don't have headers
and are just 'raw" audio, and that MP3 files did have headers. I know
"catting" two MP3s together "works" but leaves a little "blip".

I was thinking that dd might be the way to go, like how people use it to
bust a backup into CD-R sized pieces.

> See the head(1) and tail(1) man pages, especially the -c option.

Thanks,

Matthew Lambie
Technical Director

THE FRONTIER GROUP, PTY. LTD.