[plug] Frugalware

Benjamin Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 13:10:06 WST 2006

Hey guys,

If you are a bit like what I used to be, then this will sound familiar:
- Continually formatting your pc and reinstalling a different distribution
of linux at least once a week, or
- The smarter choice of: continually installing a new virtual distribution
of linux in qemu or similar at least once a week.

I have definately moved out of this trend now (thank god!), but I thought I
would let you in on my adventures. I mean, can you call yourself a linux
user if you haven't tried all the big name linux distros and a few of the
little ones? Well, yes... but you will be able to follow many more linux
discussions if you have!

Below I list the distributions I have tried and a very brief comment on each
of them. The list probably isn't exhaustive, cause I will probably forget
some! There is no specific order.
Please let me know if you have tried a distro I haven't and recommend it if
it is good!

Linux Distributions...
Slackware: Love it! Nice simple package management, although the lack of
dependency resolution really gets a bit annoying after a while. Love the
text config design.
Fedora: Very good for beginners, or people that don't have the time to spend
setting up their distro - generally just works. YUM is an ok package
manager... but seems slow. Some good development happens here too!
(open) Suse: Incredible! Everything just works out of the box. absolutely
amazing! Only reason I dont use it - package management is graphical only as
far as I can tell. I like the console!
Debian: Extremely rock solid distro. Huge list of packages. Love it! apt-get
rocks! I just wish they included java, mplayer, madwifi, fglrx and win32
codecs in the default repos. However, I can understand why they don't. One
more complaint, if you want up to date packages, you have to use unstable...
and it quite often is just that - unstable.
Gentoo: If you have time to kill, gentoo is for you! and i mean it. i love
the way it works, love the huge list of packages, love the USE flags, but
honestly just don't have the time. Otherwise its beautiful... not as fast as
some people say it is though!
Arch: I love Archlinux! pacman is there package manager and it just rocks!
Take apt-get and remove all the annoying dependencies and broken packages
that you don't understand. It DOES have dependency resolution, it just
doesn't have things like mysql being a dependency for gnome (i dont know if
that is the case in debian... just an example). Huge repository of packages
(not as big as debian). Has all the good stuff built in by default (java,
mp3, win32 codecs, mplayer, madwifi, fglrx... you name it). Not to be
confused with Ark, which is very different.
Frugalware: Take the awesomeness of archlinux and combine it with the
simplicity of slackware... then add more awesomeness! This is the distro
that I currently use. It is pretty rare since it is based in Hungary... but
very good! It uses slackware similar config files, and the archlinux pacman
package manager. But it has things like bootsplash out of the box! If you
haven't tried this... you honestly need to have a look!
Crux: Ports package management - source based (except install which is
binary, you just compile packages when you upgrade them or get new ones).
This is the fastest distro I have ever used. Boot time is amazing! Archlinux
uses the install and config scripts from this distro, but adds binary
package management. It's really cool, but again, I don't have the time for
source based distros. The install is a little complicated... but
never-the-less cool!
Ubuntu: Awesome! debian + up to date packages, stability and easy
configuration. Everything just works. This is definitely the distro I would
recommend for linux newbies, because they are getting a nice system, without
HAVING to deal with any complications. And when they learn more, there is
plenty of room to get more sophisticated with it! Again, I wish it had mp3,
win32 codecs and java out of the box... but these are pretty easily
installed. The one thing that annoys me about ubuntu is the stupid african
sounds. Again, easy to fix... but annoying!
Vector: Slackware + awesomeness. vasm is their package to help configure the
system (the config scripts are still there, but you dont have to edit them
manually!). Also uses the slapt-get package manager to give dependency
support. Very fast and stable distro. I just wish it was a little bit more
up to date and had more packages in it's repositories. Very good otherwise.
PCLinuxOS: Mandriva + Live. I like this distro, but its too much like
windows for me!
Mandriva: Very awesome for newbies. Again, everything just works, and there
are very up to date repos if you know what you are doing. I wish it didnt
have the price-tag. Fingers crossed that they go open like fedora and suse.
I think its a real shame they kicked out the creator and lead developer
recently though - seems like a nice guy.
MEPIS: Live + everything just works! + debian + non-free packages. Very cool
live cd, and very easy to install. I used this for quite some time, but the
fact that the debian repos don't fully work with it annoyed me a bit. Very
easy to configure: newbies try this!
Damn Small: Awesome for older, slower hard ware. Useless for basically
anything else... unless you want a very minimalistic distro (which I can
understand). Definately no bloat here!
Knoppix: A ground breaker for live cds. Try it out. I think its good, but
have never actually installed it and used it... just didnt stand out enough
for me.
Kubuntu: ubuntu + kde... a great idea. Not a huge kde fan - but this distro
is sweet. They make KDE a very usable place to be. All the pro's of
ubuntu... and not so many cons.
Kanotix: Very good hardware detection... dont see any other real appeal.
People rave about this one... but I dont see what the big deal is.
SLAX: Slackware live. the live scripts used to generate this distro are very
good, and modular. This means you can customize your own live cd - sweet! A
lot of distros use its live cd scripts. Good... but no appeal for a full
time desktop.
Xandros: Costs money, but very good otherwise. Based on debian, great
hardware support, lots of software for it (but it costs money!). If it was
free, I would definately use it.
Puppy: Small and fast. Since I have a pretty quick PC, it doesnt really
appeal to me.... same deal as damn small really.
Zenwalk: Minimalistic slackware with a new package manager with dependency
resolution (just a front-end to the slackware package manager which is still
there). Uses very up to date xfce (subversion stuff). Can have reiser4.
Basically, if it had a bigger repository, I would use it. I also wish they
had a live version... but to give you an idea - its slackware + package
management.
RR4: Gentoo with binary packages for installation. If you want a shortcut to
installing gentoo - here it is! It also comes with some neat stuff like Xgl.
The problem of source compiling still exists though, when you go to upgrade
your packages with emerge. But if you dont want to update - a very good
distro.
Linspire: Debian + price tag and pre-configured. Very good for newbies, but
I feel they would learn pretty fast and want more pretty quickly. Doesnt
appeal to me at all. hardware configuration was good. Lots of packages in
repositories, but again you have to pay for them. IMHO, this is very similar
to xandros. Is a live cd and and install cd.
E-Live: If you want to try the latest enlightenment 17 (CVS), then smack
this live cd into your pc - very cool... but wouldnt install it (can you
install it?).
Koroora: Similar to RR4. Gentoo with binary package installation. Also has
Xgl in a live cd version... but cant install from that one :(. Made in
Australia i believe. Good, but still gentoo.
Morphix: I have tried it but cant remember anything about it... couldnt have
been that good eh?
Rubix: Slackware + pacman. Sounds like frugalware eh? Well.... it has a very
small repository of stuff. Seems to be focused on security, but I got sick
of it after 10 minutes. Pacman is good, but this distro was very boring. One
good point is that it leaves all packages untouched by default (no fancy
logos on login screens etc). But this made it boring. I was looking forward
to big things with this distro... was very upset. If you want slackware and
pacman, I definately recommend frugalware instead.
Archie: Arch linux live cd. outdated. I think they are updating it... but I
could be wrong. Good to try out arch, but understand the packages are quite
old now.
Gentoox: Gentoo for the Xbox... need I say more? Very cool stuff.... if you
have an xbox (yay me!)
Yoper: Supposedly the fastest distribution around... but it wasnt that
special! It was fast, but I reckon CRUX is faster (but that is source
based). Developed in NZ, but I wish it was kept more up to date. No real
appeal here.

BSD Varations...
Freebsd: A magnificent BSD! I love it. madwifi works great. ports work
great. Source based or binary based (excellent!). If you havent tried BSD,
but want to try one that isnt for babies... this is your friend. PCBSD and
DesktopBSD are a lot easier, but not as powerful IMHO. FreeBSD is my
favourite BSD, and I used it for about a year. Very good, very stable.
Excellent for servers and not bad for desktops.
OpenBSD: THE MOST SECURE system around. But the user HAS to know what they
are doing if they want to keep it that way. Lots of patches for software
where security holes are found. If you want security... this is your baby.
It seems to be very slow though... maybe because that is not their primary
goal... Great for servers, terrible for desktops. Difficult install... but
just follow the manual. Some absolutely amazing development comes out of
here, and I take my hat off to them. Ever heard of ssh? These guys invented
it.
NetBSD: Want to run BSD on your toaster? Then this is for you ...
seriously.... they HAVE run it on a toaster! The most portable OS around. It
will run on almost any architecture... too bad I only have i686 stuff eh?
haha. Very fast BSD, but not as much appeal to me as freebsd. Some good
development comes out of here. It has Xen.
Solaris: Old and slow. It just went open (like fedora and suse)... but it
just seems archaic! I cannot understand why you would run this, unless you
had a sun pc.
Freesbie: FreeBSD live. Its great... but getting a little old now. It really
shows that FreeBSD is ready for the desktop. You must try this if you have
never used BSD before. If you have, just stick with freebsd.

Things I havent tried, but would like to... just to see...
Ark Linux: KDE + Easy configuration panel. Seems interesting...
PCBSD: FreeBSD live - sweet.
DesktopBSD: FreeBSD live - sweet. I would probably prefer this over PCBSD...
just from looking at the website and the screenshots. But i would prefer
freebsd over both.
Linux XP: If you want linux that looks like windows... get this! I wanna try
it just to see - but i would never keep it. I use linux cause i want linux.
VLOS: Gentoo + easy installer + binaries. I swear this used to have a price
tag... but it appears to be free now. Very pretty... but still gentoo.
Foresight: Based on fedora if i remember correctly. Seems good... but whats
wrong with fedora? i am sure they have an answer to that.
GeeXBox: A very good media centre... but wouldnt use it on a normal pc i
dont think.
Lunar: Source based - looks like you could learn a bit with this one.
aLinux: Very pretty, seems to be different enough to be worth a look. RPM.
Kate OS: Lightweight, ideas from slackware. seems to have a good marketing
team at least.
BLAG: Fedora without the concern about mp3 licence etc. Seems cool, but a
bit ugly and unnecessary?
Novell Linux Desktop: Price tag... but very stable as far as I understand.
Gnome
Source Mage: Similar to Lunar
T2: Similar to Source Mage
Rock: Similar to T2 (see a recursive pattern?)
Linux From Scratch: As I understand it, you basically hack together your own
version of linux. They have a very nice manual. A lot of new distributions
started out with this... helps them know where to start and what is
necessary in almost all distros. Apparently you learn absolutely HEAPS
rolling your own one of these distros.
Goblinx: Linux without the oldschool Unix hierarchy... no /usr, no /etc!
They have /System/Links/Executables! Seems to be cool - but why change what
has been around for ages and works well? They are trying to make it more
obvious... but microsoft did that and just screwed everything up.
GoboLinux: Live slackware. Very pleasant desktop use.
Buffalo: Slackware and vector linux targeted at businesses. Is free, but
includes codeweaver's crossover office if you pay money (allows you to
install things like microsoft office - thats right - you heard correctly!).
Also has DB2 and oracle databases... if you need that sort of thing... then
check this out.
CentOS: Red Hat Enterprise for free. Very good for servers I have heard.
DragonFly BSD: A fork from freebsd. seems hard core!
grml: knoppix for the console. it has graphics i believe, but supposed to be
good as a rescue system. They seem to plug the fact that it is free....
which is not all that unusual in linux - so it seems strange that they
would.... perhaps they are targeting microsoft users?
VideoLinux: PCLinuxOS with a bunch of software for dvd backups, video
encoding and transcoding, dvd authoring, format conversion and video
playback (of almost any kind).
Belenix: Open solaris stuff... i wonder if it is more up to date.
Nexenta: Mix open solaris kernel/base with the GNU/Debian packages.... a
wonderful idea - is it worth my time experimenting with?

I hope this was helpful to a few people!

Have fun

Also, I will be putting a copy of this at the following address:
http://kite.homelinux.net/~bwoods/distros.html

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02 at gmail.com
Registered Linux User #372573