[plug] Frugalware

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Apr 5 14:22:53 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: woodsb02 at gmail.com
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: RE: [plug] Frugalware
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:10:06 +0800

>(open) Suse: Incredible! Everything just works out of the box.
>absolutely
>amazing! Only reason I dont use it - package management is graphical
>only as
>far as I can tell. I like the console!

SUSE now comes with apt and synaptic (for RPM) - so you're no longer
totally reliant on YAST.

>Mandriva: Very awesome for newbies. Again, everything just works, and
>there
>are very up to date repos if you know what you are doing. I wish it
>didnt
>have the price-tag. Fingers crossed that they go open like fedora and
>suse.
>I think its a real shame they kicked out the creator and lead
>developer
>recently though - seems like a nice guy.

They ARE free - you just have to pay if you want to use the CD's with
the non-free software - think NVIDIA drivers and mp3 players. Every
Linux mag eventually has a copy of a Mandriva distro sooner or later.
The big drawback with them is that they included software is often
almost as old as Debian Stable *ducks and runs for cover, having POed
both Mandriva and Debian people*. Seriously the latest Mandriva disks
were very far from leading edge, let alone bleeding edge.

And Mandriva aren't the only ones kicking out developers and founders
- Novell seems to be getting rid of SUSE people at a great rate as
well.