[plug] Re: Frugalware

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 14:23:19 WST 2006

I'm amazed.  I know exactly what you mean by formatting week by week/month
by month, but I mainly did this when I was running Windows as my primary OS
(purely for stability/speed reasons)!!  My voyages through linux
distributions have been far less than your amazing list though (its like you
copied it straight off distrowatch.com!), but I share the same sentiment for
many of the distributions that we've both used.

I've gone Redhat -> Slackware -> Debian -> Gentoo over the course of about
3-4 years, and use Ubuntu on my laptop.

As well as that I've used Mandrake/Mandriva, Fedora, and a few others, and
wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

Debian for server work/stability

Debian/OpenBSD for routers/gateways/firewalls

Ubuntu for laptop (You're spot on, everything just works, Power management,
screen/resolution & hardware detection, removable device management..
PERFECT!)

Gentoo for my desktops.  I've not tried Crux or anything, but its definitely
faster than the other distributions I've ran on this computer.  I has Debian
on my desktop for a long time and the speed difference is fantastic.

Live CD's definitely have their place in testing/debugging or just short
term solutions (great for temporary routers/firewalls)

Your message was definitely an interesting read, by the way!

Regards

Shannon

  _____