[plug] VOIP suggestions please

Hendrik Strydom hns1 at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 8 10:08:40 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 15:48 +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> W.Kenworthy wrote:
> > skype is secure (encrypted) - for the user!  Its the company that will
> > have problems because they cant see/monitor what your doing!  Which
> > brings up the point - isnt your vpn tunnel a problem then (unless its a
> > company one that they control)?
>
> skype has a number of audited security vulns.. I'm not trying to avoid company monitoring (I am the
> company).. I'm passing sensitive information that I want to *know* is secure, thus I control the
> infrastructure.
>
> I think I'm getting there anyway.. just having some openvpn problems at one end which appears to be
> interfering with some iptables rules.. I'll keep beating my head against it..

You could try zfone, which aims to be a secure voip application.  It it
still in beta though, but is done by Phillip Zimmerman who gave us pgp.
The only snag is that the other end of the call must have it too, but
then the same holds true for Skype.  As yet zfone has no documented
security problems, but that could possibly be because it is new.
See
http://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/zfone/index.html

Regards
  Hennie