[plug] Catalogue Database (DVD, etc. titles?)

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 10 10:05:50 WST 2006

Eric S <ews.mail at gmail.com> writes:
>Bernd Felsche wrote:

>> I'd like to create a database of DVD titles and reference data;
>> mainly so that I don't buy the same ones over and over again.

>> But I don't know where I'd be able to get a database of EAN-13
>> barcode to title, etc. Yes; I have a barcode scanner.

>> Any ideas?

>http://www.upcdatabase.com/

That's great for UPC-A barcodes. (Un)Fortunately we are in Australia
where EAN-13 is the standard GTIN system for retail goods. Although
some goods may be sold by UPC-A code, the internal representation
under EAN-13 typically has a left-padded zero to "convert" the UPC
to EAN-13 in Australian systems.

upcdatabase.com will not accept EAN-13.

The bulk of my DVD library has EAN-13 barcodes.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.