[plug] root filesystem problem on Debian testing/unstable system

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Apr 13 05:38:24 WST 2006

Bret Busby wrote:

> Can this problem with the root partition, be fixed, to get the system running again? If so, is it possible to be fixed using advice via emails, or would the computer need to go to a workshop meeting?

I'd not be in the least bit surprised to find the disk is toast. Almost *always* nastiness to that
degree is caused by a hardware failure, especially when it happens on a running system.
I'd be more tempted to fire up knoppix and run a non destructive badblocks on the drive first before
you do anything else. If that passes, then try an e2fsck in "make no changes" mode.. if that fails
then perhaps try a backup superblock or two.. if that fails then we have to get forensic.. but to be
honest it sounds like the drive has thrown a rod.

Brad