[plug] slightly OT?: SPARC gear looking for home

Simon Marko s.marko at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 13 10:47:28 WST 2006

Denis Brown wrote:

> Dear PLUG people,
>
> Some SPARC equipment is about to be disposed of including some thin
> clients (new in boxes)   Apols for possibly OT but if these don't find
> a home they're destined for the dumpster.   The price figures are open
> for interpretation - as I say they are dumpster-headed if no homes
> found :-)
>
> * Sun Solaris Thin Clients, 11 new still in boxes, 6 used
>
> * SPARC Server 10, monitor,  mouse, keyboard
>
> * SPARC server 1000
>
> * Sun RAID array - details unknown
>
> All above: Age=5 yrs, Price=$50, Cond=presumed good
>
> If any interest contact me in first instance and I will check with
> disposee.   First dibs will go to UWA people however.
>
> Denis

When you say "Thin Clients"  there are several models:

Sun Ray 1 (Sunray 1G is similar with DVI Video out)
http://au.sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunRay1/SunRay1.html

Sun Ray 100
http://au.sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunRay100/SunRay100.html

Sun Ray 150
http://au.sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunRay150/SunRay150.html

Sun Ray 170 (My Favourite)
http://au.sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunRay170/SunRay170.html

One really cool thing about these is the smart-card hot desking - you
yank your card while logged in and the thin client workstation logs off,
saving your desktop applications etc. which are still running on the
host system. You can then plug in at any other client WS and pick up
where you left off.
I haven't checked but LTSP can probably do this too, but probably not
with a smart card - it's only a matter of time though!
The 1G and 170 are the only systems not End Of Life.

::SimonM::