[plug] slightly OT?: SPARC gear looking for home

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 13 10:39:36 WST 2006

"Senectus ." <senectus at gmail.com> writes:
>On 4/13/06, Denis Brown <dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>> Some SPARC equipment is about to be disposed of including some
>> thin clients (new in boxes)   Apols for possibly OT but if these
>> don't find a home they're destined for the dumpster.   The price
>> figures are open for interpretation - as I say they are
>> dumpster-headed if no homes found :-)

>woooo
>Would be very tempting to buy these and setup the thin clients through
>the house (kitchen, back shed, etc)..
>Pity I'm renting and know nothing about the sparc arch :-P

SPARC is quite nice. A little on the "bureaucratic" side but not as
antique as x86... It can be difficult getting parts (cheaply) for
expansion if you need stuff like processor upgrades.

Most of the SPARC gear can run some Linux distros. Built for SPARC,
obviously.

	http://www.linux.com/howtos/SPARC-HOWTO.shtml
	http://www.linux.com/howtos/SPARC-HOWTO-12.shtml
	http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/
	http://www.ultralinux.org/

SLXT and LTSP look like possibilities for the thin clients.
	http://www.pucebaboon.com/SLXT/

You may want to keep S(l)olaris on the servers in a dual-boot
system. There's heaps of free software ported to Solaris.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.