[plug] root filesystem problem on Debian testing/unstable system

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Apr 16 15:01:51 WST 2006

Bret Busby wrote:

Glagd you got it all sorted Bret.

> The lessons from this (I think), are:
> 1. do not run fsck on a mounted partition (the root partition was mounted when I ran fsck to check it and everything went awry), and
> 2. when problems arise with a root partition (that is ext3), in terms of it becoming an unrecognisable, unmountable filesystem, with stated bad FAT blocks, a good idea is to run e2fsck on the root partition, booting from a Knoppox 4.0, or similar, CD/DVD.

Yes yes yes yes.. fsck should have complained _loudly_ if you asked it to run on a mounted fs if it
was r/w. And yes it's always a good idea on a broken filesystem to check it unmounted completely.

going back to your original post I spotted this...

"I booted the computer, using a Knoppix 3.1 CD, and tried to mount the root partition, to run fsck
on it, to fix it, but the partition could not be mounted, as the filesystem was unrecognised. Using
Knoppix, I was able to view the contents of other partistions on both the physical hard drive that
conatins the root partition, and another hard drive in the same computer"

Never try and mount an ext3 partition prior to running fsck on it if you think it may be broken.
fsck does a much better job of cleaning up a broken filesystem than the kernel will when it replays
the journal as you try to mount it.

I'd love to know what killed your fs though. I've been running ext3 on all my machines since it hit
the stable kernel, and I've had exactly what you saw before, but on mine it was caused by an
intermittent ide connection inside my laptop. I've _never_ seen anything like that on a normal system.

Might be a good time to fire up debsums and make sure all your OS files are free of corruption.

Brad