[plug] Error 25: Disk read error

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sun Apr 16 18:53:27 WST 2006

Sunday, 16 April 2006 18:30, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> Sunday, 16 April 2006 17:59, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> > you may need toi rerun lilo or grub.  Is it one of those that is
> > issueing the error (like it cant find the kernel?)
>
> Yeah, it's Grub. I was under the impression that it was only Lilo
> that had to be "rerun" in this way. What's the procedure like with
> Grub?
>
> I entered the Grub boot menu, and the options look right. (They're
> identical to the first system.)
>
> Remember, it worked the first time I booted up the system, and the
> only thing I changed was the hostname in /etc/hostname and a few
> network-related files.

Okay, I did a diff of the boot directories of the two drives. Turns
out /boot/grub/default had been reduced to 4 bytes instead of its
normal 197. Copying it over from the original system to the cloned one
seems to have solved the problem (I've done a few reboots just to
check). Still no idea what caused the problem to begin with.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/