[plug] Error 25: Disk read error

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Sun Apr 16 21:17:48 WST 2006

G'day Alex,

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:53:27 +0800
Alex Nordstrom <lx at se.linux.org> wrote:

> --444242f7_5db6035e_10c4
>
> gpg: Signature made Sun 16 Apr 2006 18:53:27 WST using DSA key ID
> E3956381 gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
>
> --444242f7_5db6035e_10c4
>
> Sunday, 16 April 2006 18:30, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> > Sunday, 16 April 2006 17:59, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> > > you may need toi rerun lilo or grub.  Is it one of those that is
> > > issueing the error (like it cant find the kernel?)
> >
> > Yeah, it's Grub. I was under the impression that it was only Lilo
> > that had to be "rerun" in this way. What's the procedure like with
> > Grub?
> >
> > I entered the Grub boot menu, and the options look right. (They're
> > identical to the first system.)
> >
> > Remember, it worked the first time I booted up the system, and the
> > only thing I changed was the hostname in /etc/hostname and a few
> > network-related files.
>
> Okay, I did a diff of the boot directories of the two drives. Turns=20
> out /boot/grub/default had been reduced to 4 bytes instead of its=20
> normal 197. Copying it over from the original system to the cloned
> one=20 seems to have solved the problem (I've done a few reboots just
> to=20 check). Still no idea what caused the problem to begin with.

I played around with partimaged (?) the "ghost" like imaging tools for
linux a while ago. For this to work I vaguely remember having to take
the image first and then copy the boot sector / partition tables
separately. On restoring an image, the boot sector needed to be copied
back before restoring the images. I know that dd works at a device
level and I might be way off here, but possibly the boot sector was
missed somehow?

Just a thought...

--

Adam Davin