[plug] Error 25: Disk read error

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Tue Apr 18 09:29:02 WST 2006

On 4/16/2006, "Alex Nordstrom" <lx at se.linux.org> wrote:

>Sunday, 16 April 2006 21:17, Adam Davin wrote:
>> I played around with partimaged (?) the "ghost" like imaging tools
>> for linux a while ago. For this to work I vaguely remember having to
>> take the image first and then copy the boot sector / partition tables
>> separately. On restoring an image, the boot sector needed to be
>> copied back before restoring the images. I know that dd works at a
>> device level and I might be way off here, but possibly the boot
>> sector was missed somehow?
>
>Hmm... I doubt it. /boot/grub/default does not reside in the MBR, and
>after fixing only that file, things now seem to be working just fine.
>And again, it worked on the first boot. It really is a mystery.

I have used DD several times to replace damaged hard drives and/or
upgrade disks.  As far as I know, DD will get EVERYTHING (without
exception) from one drive to the next (unless the source is unreadable)
and the drive should boot exactly as if it was the old drive/system.

Typically you might end up with some unused space at the end of the disk
if you are upgrading to a larger drive, but for this excercise it should
have worked just fine.

Boot sectors/MBR/Grub/Lilo should all come across without problem in my
experience because DD used correctly accesses every writeable part of
the devices involved and replicates them.

The file that changed size is particularly strange.  If you do find out
what happened, I'd love to know.

- Jonathan