[plug] Error 25: Disk read error

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sun Apr 16 23:20:12 WST 2006

Sunday, 16 April 2006 21:17, Adam Davin wrote:
> I played around with partimaged (?) the "ghost" like imaging tools
> for linux a while ago. For this to work I vaguely remember having to
> take the image first and then copy the boot sector / partition tables
> separately. On restoring an image, the boot sector needed to be
> copied back before restoring the images. I know that dd works at a
> device level and I might be way off here, but possibly the boot
> sector was missed somehow?

Hmm... I doubt it. /boot/grub/default does not reside in the MBR, and
after fixing only that file, things now seem to be working just fine.
And again, it worked on the first boot. It really is a mystery.

I think I'll chalk this one up to the Magic Bad Karma of changing the
host name of a system. We all know it's bad luck, but I didn't think it
would bite me since the name change was planned from the beginning.

Anyway, marge, which will eventually be my mother's computer, is now
working happily alongside lisa, which is to replace homer, which is
getting old and sluggish, and complement bart, the laptop (which never
does as it's told).

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/