[plug] BIOS boot loader

Jason Posavec jasonposavec at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 20 09:48:45 WST 2006

I thought I might mention the way I dual boot using a SATA motherboard
as it might be of use to somebody else out there.

I have Ubuntu on 2 SATA drives, XP on a PATA drive on IDE 0, and my
optical drives on IDE1. Depending on which OS I want to load, I either
select SATA in combined mode for Ubuntu (which disables IDE0), or
disable SATA for XP. As IDE1 is accessible in both modes, the optical
drives are always available.

This way I've found I have no problems with either OS doing bad things
to the other OS's bootloader because they are both unaware of each
others existance.

Jason Posavec