[plug] Sub-10 Second X-Sessions

Mr E_T troll at arach.net.au
Tue Apr 25 13:20:59 WST 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 11:21, Caleb Duggan wrote:
> Yeah i get that all the time too. Usually after ive been doing a lot of
> stuff as root but, without actually touching the file
>
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:34:09 +0800, Jason Posavec
> <jasonposavec at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I thought I might throw this one out to anyone who may have experienced
> > it before, or may be able to shed some light on it.
> >
> > I tried to log in one day and the message came up just as the x-server
> > was about to start, telling me that my X-session had lasted less than 10
> > seconds. Clicking to acknowledge would throw me back to the prompt. This
> > would happen on both KDE and Gnome options. I logged in under failsafe
> > terminal and had a bit of a look around, and found that the
> > .ICEauthority file now belonged to root:root. After I changed ownership
> > back to me, everything worked fine.
> >
> > Any ideas what may cause that to sporadically happen? It would happen
> > all too regularly on Suse10, and thankfully only once so far on Ubuntu.
> >
> > Jason

Ive had it a few times - I added this to my kdm startup script -

test -e /tmp/.ICE-unix || mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix
chown root:users /tmp/.ICE-unix
chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
test -e /tmp/.X11-unix || mkdir /tmp/.X11-unix
chown root:users /tmp/.X11-unix
chmod 1777 /tmp/.X11-unix

Just before kdm starts.
It forces the correct ownership/permissions of the two directories.

--
regs MR E_T