[plug] booting from a usb cdrom drive without bios support

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Fri Apr 28 21:31:30 WST 2006

Caleb Duggan wrote:
> Im determined to get gentoo working this time.  The drive in the
> computer just dosent like the cd for some reason but it works in other
> machines.  I might try installing it on another machine.  I just want
> to experiment with it and if i manage to get it working well, ill put
> it on my main computer(long term plan).
>
> <snip>
I can't help much with your immediate problem at hand, but if you want
to experiment with linux installations etc. , vmware have released a
free version of their player which allows you to run guest operating
systems under a host ( linux or windows )

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Available for your choosing is a wide variety of pre-configured images
for downloading and playing around with ( eg. heaps of different linux
distros, asterisk, IPcop ) allowing you to get a feel for things before
committing to a proper install.  Or of course you can setup a new linux
installation from scratch and operate this from within vmware

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/browserapp.html

I occasionally run three different linux guests under a windows host at
any one time - performance isn't identical to if you were running on
real host, but it does what I need. ( SuSE 10.0 for utility compiling,
SuSE 8.1 for backwards compatibility, and a SuSE 8.1 embedded system for
testing all in one go )

cheers

 Paul