[plug] First real Linux repload on a laptop ?

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Sun Aug 6 12:39:58 WST 2006

Nikhil Jogia wrote:
> Kai wrote:
>> Desktop Linux breakthrough: Lenovo preloads SUSE on ThinkPad
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7778908329.html
>>
>> Anyone seen one of these in action ?
> IMHO, loading Linux on a laptop (or desktop for that matter) is a bad
> idea.

I fail to see how it could be any different to having a laptop
pre-loaded with windows.  Well apart from possibly the cost savings and
Linux being far superior ;)

It would be nice to go by a laptop and have everything just 'work', and
not muck about for hours compiling drivers for a wireless card that
should just work.....

> This is because in the age of multi-core desktop computing, one is not
> limited to one OS, and can run multiple OSes in parallel.
>
> If you include Windows as an OEM component, it is much cheaper for the
> end user than if they were to buy it separately. Furthermore,
> virtualisation software can be downloaded for free (VMWare, Virtual PC
> for Windows).
Virtualization is still not there compared to running things natively,
and it will never be there for things like games/graphics, specialized
development environments etc. I must admit though it does have its uses
and I am impressed with VMwares offerings

The biggest thing in all of this is choice - a user might not even want
windows so why should they be forced to buy it ?

cheers

--

Paul Arch

Esidium Group Pty. Ltd.