[plug] First real Linux repload on a laptop ?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sun Aug 6 14:43:10 WST 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006, Kev wrote:

> >That said, I'm looking forward to the day when ReactOS, Wine or one of
> >the free implementations of the Win32 API mature enough (and quickly
> >enough!)
> >to run the handful of applications one would like to under Windows.
>
> Crossover Office runs most of the "mainstream" Windoze applications
> right out of the box.
>
> http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/supported_apps/

Nice! They've got a few supported applications and this would be useful
in a small business but:

* They're charging money for it! Obviously they need to make something
  for their trouble but Microsoft can (and do!) come back up with competitive
  pricing; why not just go M$?

* They're a few thousand applications off from being something a large
  corporate could need. Unless the corporate IT policy includes considering
  whether applications can run under Linux/*NIX you will end up with one
  or two applications which the company can't live without. This wouldn't
  work for UWA, as an example, because it doesn't support TRIM (document
  mgmt) and it doesn't support their Finance software.

There's plenty of work going into "mainstream" alternatives but IMHO
this isn't what is holding people onto Windows these days.

> >On a side note: has anyone tried ReactOS recently?
>
> I installed and played with the latest ReactOS just last week.
> Basically all they have so far is a very "clunky" gui OS booting.  It
> wasn't inspiring enough to convince me to spend more than a couple hours
> tho.

Dang!

Adrian