[plug] Centos config at install and devices

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed Aug 9 23:27:49 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 22:52 +0800, hatari wrote:
> Thanks for that, Gavin....
>
> Tried SUSE for a short time.  Found it ground to a halt on my system.
> However around then I didn't have time to dig deeply and resolve why.
> So I removed it.  Maybe I should give it another try.
>
> When you say "glitches" is/are there certain ...thing(s)... you can
> point out?

My only experience is with 9.3 and 10.1 (and the variant of 10.1, called
'Slick' or something).  Had no trouble with 9.3 on any of a few PCs I
tried, ditto 10.1.  OTOH, Fedora would not install properly on two of
those three - one had a SATA drive/MB combo that FC4 didn't like, and
one was too old and had too little RAM for installation. But, that's
just getting back to the faults of Fedora ;-)  I only mention it to
demonstrate suse's better hardware compatibility that I wrote about
first up.

The glitches are all related to yast/zen being broken when 10.1 first
shipped.  You have to install patches to make it work.  Some reviewers
wrote how it appeared to them that 10.1 was rushed to release and that
10 was more stable.  However, once you overcome that package update
glitch I think it rocks compared to Fedora and others, and with Novell
behind it can only go from strength to strength (nothing wrong with
community efforts, I hasten to add).

Anyway, even after you patch yast, you can sidestep the update issues by
switching to 'smart' for you updates, instead.  See my previous posts on
this topic where I gave some useful URLs to explain all that stuff :-)

Gavin