[plug] laptop

Fred Janon fjanon at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 09:07:34 WST 2006

I can't really give you any feedback on running Linux on either laptops
but I had a laptop from Sony and I even ran into problems installing a
regular version of Windows on it. They come with a Sony customized
Windows and proprietary hardware. Even the Windows drivers for their
CD-ROM/RW drives are not public. I imagine that they would not make
public any H/W info to write Linux Open Source drivers. My experience
with their service was pretty bad. I paid a lot more money for the Sony
laptop than another brand and didn't get much more that the slick
design and the brand name.

Apple laptops are still more expensive than the competition but now
with the Intel procs you can even run OS X and Windows. The Apple
service is very good in my experience and LOTS of people do Linux
things with them. I see a lot of people doing Web development on them.
When I have enough money, I'll probably buy one for my business.

Fred