[plug] Fedora Core 5 - Install

Joshua Chase joshych at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 16 12:36:24 WST 2006

The minimum system requirements of FC5 are too high!
  From Joshua Chase<joshych at yahoo.com.au>

hatari <hatari at iinet.net.au> wrote:
  Kev wrote:
> Arie Hol wrote:

>>> =I still dabble, but the pain can be excruciating at times.

>>> =I agree. In the last several versions of several distros there are
>>

>> lots
>>
>>> of "flakey" things going on.

>> with

>>> =Arie, I tried 2 attempts myself - from 2 different disks. I stopped
>>> there. They failed to install grub on /boot for multi-OS. (ie no
>>> boot-up)
>>>
>>> So I tried Mepis (for a reason which I wont go into). After prompting

>>> turned OFF certain Services for security reasons. After loading I
>>

>> found
>>
>>> that not one had been adjusted. So you can't trust a system for
>>

>> security
>>
>>> after that, can you?

>>> Yep.
>>>

>>> Not much help for your problem, but just letting you know others out
>>

>> here
>>
>>> are still finding (too much?) pain in Linux - as it begins to fracture
>>> into a thousand distros.
>>>

>> Despite my initial whinging and moaning - I ended up with FC5
>> installed and at least running in a stable fashion. There are several
>> things that are broken but at least I can do the things that I need to
>> do.
>>
>> Maybe as time goes by I will get some things fixed - but I can do what
>> I need to do on Linux.
>>
>> Looks like I will not be getting away from Windows XP in a hurry.
>>
>> It's still the age old question of Linux vs hardware - I am
>> disappointed that so many things are out of square with Linux despite
>> the advances being made with most distros - the hardware landscape
>> seems to change too quickly - and I am not always in a position to
>> change my hardware just to suit Linux.
>>
>> But I am not giving up on Linux by any means. I agree that Linux with
>> its many distros is becoming too diversified and agree that the need
>> to conform to the Linux Standards Base will be the most critical
>> factor for the survival of Linux - lest that it becomes too
>> factionalised to remain coherent as a single entity - but the
>> situation will become more difficult as the "larger" distros such as
>> Redhat, Novell and Mandriva become more independent with their
>> progress in development and diversification.
>>
>> Diversity gives choice - but too much diversity causes
>> factionalisation away from the central cause - ie Instead of the fight
>> being between Linux vs Microsoft - it seems to increase the tendency
>> for distro wars - then you add in the differences with the Solaris
>> systems and the BSD systems as well.
>>
>> Then there is still the age old problem - hardware compatibility and
>> certain hardware manufacturers NOT accepting that there is/are
>> alternative ways of setting up computing environments - many of them
>> will never accept this factor while so many people in the world think
>> that "Windows" is the only way to go.
>>
>> Maybe the arrival of "Vista" will change peoples minds - considering
> [...]
Interesting, Kev. After emailing today I loaded Debian (for the first
time) and it seemed OK for a while. However, it wouldn't let me mount a
CD using the menu lnk because a service isn't started. After hunting
around for ages (typical in Linux) it is obvious that I can't find any
(GUI) form used to adjust (ALL) Services. I do not want to get into the
cmd line yet. Can you tell me where (in Debian) to find a Services
control panel? P.S. Xandros later maybe.

Arie, yep.

wayne
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au