[plug] linux on an imac

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 23 09:55:41 WST 2006

Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

> Many reasons. You've outlined the problem -- MacOS costs money.

Only if you want it to. While 10.4 is expensive, you can get 10.3 second
hand cheaply.

>  256MB of RAM is truckloads for Linux.

Not with Gnome. I can't believe how much RAM Gnome sucks. The weather
applet uses more memory than than a linux 1.x kernel ! 20MB resident for
Nautilus. Is KDE any better? The apple desktop is slim in comparison.

> Can you not do lots on a PPC/Linux box
> thanks to OSS? Is this a PLUG list or a MLUG list? =) etc etc.

Sure, but you could do the same on os-x (it IS unix), or a faster $20
P-III PC.  I was assuming you already had a linux box too :-)

Mike.