[plug] linux on an imac

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 09:59:51 WST 2006

On 8/23/06, Mike Holland <myk.list at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
>
> > Many reasons. You've outlined the problem -- MacOS costs money.
>
> Only if you want it to. While 10.4 is expensive, you can get 10.3 second
> hand cheaply.
I'll take this comment not to condone software piracy -- but I still
think ``free'' is hard to beat. =)

> >  256MB of RAM is truckloads for Linux.
>
> Not with Gnome. I can't believe how much RAM Gnome sucks. The weather
> applet uses more memory than than a linux 1.x kernel ! 20MB resident for
> Nautilus. Is KDE any better? The apple desktop is slim in comparison.
Is Linux not about choice? KDE is that is your fancy. Blackbox. Heck,
FLWM, IceWM, XFCE... list goes on. I run gnome on 128MB machines, I'm
happy with it.

> > Can you not do lots on a PPC/Linux box
> > thanks to OSS? Is this a PLUG list or a MLUG list? =) etc etc.
>
> Sure, but you could do the same on os-x (it IS unix), or a faster $20
> P-III PC.  I was assuming you already had a linux box too :-)
Indeed, having Unix underneath is a comfort blanket for me also =).
Another interesting move by apple, really helps the geeks come across
I be thinkin'..

> Mike.

Tomasz