[plug] Domain user from IP address?

Andrew Furey andrew.furey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 14:48:15 WST 2006

Hi all,

In an effort to user-friendly-ise (yes, that's a word... now...) a CGI
script I'm writing, I'd like to be able to determine what domain user
a particular IP address is (currently) associated with. (The network
is simple enough that there shouldn't be dupes - fingers crossed).

I presume the safest way would be to query the PDC (a 2k3 server), but
I can't see any tool to do it. Perhaps one of the net(1) parameters?
Alternatively nmblookup -A sometimes returns something viable, but
that all depends on whether the Messenger service is running (which
can't be relied upon).

Anybody done this before?

Andrew

--
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.