[plug] [OT] Changing logic boards on failed seagate drives?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Dec 1 13:06:21 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 13:00 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anyone here ever changed the logic board on a failed seagate drive
> > without or without success?
> >
> > I notice they are fairly easy to remove with the right screw-bit. Did
> > you require the exact same logic board to get data off the drive?
>
> I would assume so. I have 2 identical drives, one dead (burnt chip)
> waiting for me to remove the other board and try it. Let me know if
> you get it to work. (One reason I'm not doing it yet, is the good
> drive is my system drive, and I have 2 more years before I need the
> data off the bad drive)
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

I have a failed seagate 40gb here. Barracuda 7200.7
Model ST340014A

The customer said he didn't really need the data back but I think he
didn't consult with his wife when he said that and I think she will
freak when she realises the business has lost its books.

I have a few seagate 80gb drives in my house but they are all currently
being used.

regards,

Chris