[plug] Daylight Rubbish

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Dec 3 19:19:43 WST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 18:44 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 18:21 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 16:59 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 16:17 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > >
> > > Basically, it says the patch is available from the usual repos.
> > >
> > > I tried to be selective and not just do an across the board update, but
> > > couldn't find any specific 'time' patch by name.  So I did a general
> > > update, stopped trying so hard, and then let the package upgrades take
> > > effect.  Then, both 'date' and 'hwclock' showed the correct daylight
> > > saving time and I was able to get my desktop clock correct, too.  One of
> > > the problems I saw early in the day was that some timeservers seemed to
> > > dishing up the wrong time for most of the morning (at least to me eyes),
> > > but that seems okay now, too.
> > >
> > > Gavin
> >
> > Gavin,
> >
> > I've been checking on YOU and the new updater and there is nothing
> > available - how did you get the fix?
>
> As said, I tried to be selective but nothing was obvious, so I just did
> a 'smart update' and it just seemed to work :-/  Before that I was
> wrestling for ages with trying to force it manually with GMT+9hrs and
> stuff :-/  Sorry can't be more helpful.  Do you have guru,
> download.opensuse and the like in your repo list?  One other thing,
> bbvious really, but I assume you've updated your repo cache very, very
> recently ;-) ?
>
> Gavin.

Ok, I did manage to upgrade my timezone package, BUT - the D*MN thing is
out by one hour THE WRONG WAY.

I could scream with frustration ....

Let us say for instance that it is now 19h16 WDT, so the hardware clock
should be saying 18h16 (set for local time), and the time display should
say 18h16, but it gives me an HOUR EARLIER ......

And the "date" command gives me the hardware time. How did Bill Gates
get into the fix team?  ;-)
There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629