[plug] entertainment centre

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 08:41:29 WST 2006

If you want to go the easy route, there's a roll your own/live cd style
installation disk called Knoppix-Myth or Knoppmyth, something to that
effect.  Before I set up mythtv on my spare Gentoo machine, I tried this and
everything seemed to work out of the box.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is research the digital tv cards
available before you buy them.  They're a bit touch and go like Wireless
cards.. You get some that work the first their inserted in the system and
you never have a problem with them.  Then there's the other ones with little
to no support which are a true bugger to get working to any acceptable
level.

I've tried a bunch of media centre style apps and I'd recommend MythTV over
all the others.  Windows FreeVo is quite good, but doesn't quite cut it!