[plug] entertainment centre

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 6 09:30:45 WST 2006

Shannon Carver wrote:
> If you want to go the easy route, there's a roll your own/live cd style
> installation disk called Knoppix-Myth or Knoppmyth, something to that
> effect.  Before I set up mythtv on my spare Gentoo machine, I tried this and
> everything seemed to work out of the box.
>
> The biggest piece of advice I can give is research the digital tv cards
> available before you buy them.  They're a bit touch and go like Wireless
> cards.. You get some that work the first their inserted in the system and
> you never have a problem with them.  Then there's the other ones with little
> to no support which are a true bugger to get working to any acceptable
> level.
>
> I've tried a bunch of media centre style apps and I'd recommend MythTV over
> all the others.  Windows FreeVo is quite good, but doesn't quite cut it!

Perhaps VideoLinux might be a place to start.  I haven't tried it, but I
do have a copy to have a go one day.

http://www.videolinux.net/news.php

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 4.0.0
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal