[plug] Moving Running System to new HDD

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Dec 7 00:35:33 WST 2006

Timothy White wrote:

> >Incidentally, for those who are assuming that hotswap HDDs are exotic
> >and not seen in consumer hardware: just about every SATA controller in
> >existence supports hotswap, and Linux SATA hotswap is in the 'justworks'
> >category these days (at least with a recent-ish kernel; 2.6.15 seems to
> >work for me).
>
> I beg to differ. I am almost certain a recent computer I worked on,
> reading the motherboard manual, it explicitly said hotswapping SATA
> was not supported.

Interesting.  Out of curiosity, what chipset was the SATA controller?
(The SATA connectors are designed so that it'll work electrically, and
just about every SATA controller on the market right now supports
notifying the OS about changes in attached drives.)

> But from what I've read, it should be easy under Linux... Question is,
> what is the command sequence?

Unplug old drive.  Plug in new drive.  Rejoice.

Cameron