[plug] Moving Running System to new HDD

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:40:00 WST 2006

On 12/7/06, Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:

> > I beg to differ. I am almost certain a recent computer I worked on,
> > reading the motherboard manual, it explicitly said hotswapping SATA
> > was not supported.
>
> Interesting.  Out of curiosity, what chipset was the SATA controller?
> (The SATA connectors are designed so that it'll work electrically, and
> just about every SATA controller on the market right now supports
> notifying the OS about changes in attached drives.)

It's a K8M800-M2 board, with a Via Chipset. Socket 754, that I
purchased for Dad's new machine. It's a Windows machine, running off a
SATA drive, with no need for hotplug, so I'm not bothered.
I've even taken the liberty to scan the page of the manual :p
http://members.plug.org.au/~linuxalien/hotplug

> > But from what I've read, it should be easy under Linux... Question is,
> > what is the command sequence?
>
> Unplug old drive.  Plug in new drive.  Rejoice.

Nice. I must try this one day. And all along I've been powering down
to do this. Do you plug power or data in first?

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au