[plug] and more DST:

conon troll at arach.net.au
Thu Dec 7 11:46:46 WST 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 09:36, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> and more DST:
>
> I use a set of "expire" rules in an iptables firewall to restict my
> youngest from his game sites until his morning chores are done, and late
> at night etc.  Works well, and because its a machine doing it, and not
> his parents he seems more accepting of it (less arguments!)
>
> However, I just got a call that he its now past 9am and he is still
> locked out - as school is out can I please fix it.
>
> Seems that iptables doesnt know about the changed DST, so it looks like
> a reboot (temp fudged the rule times by an hour so its working) - I dont
> know of any other way to force it.  I suspect rules using geoip also
> cannot be updated except by reboot.
I use a complete lock out of the network by iptables - except for a user/group
on the local machine called proxy.

This user is used by squid 3.0, dante socks server and dansguardian parental control.

Both are authenticated proxies.

I then have 4 groups - child, youth, teen and adult.

children have a dansguardian score of 50 and are locked out from 6.30 pm to 8.30 am
youths - dans 100 - locked from 7.30 to 8.30
teens - dans 150 - locked from 9.30 to 7.30
adults - no restrictions.

It was a bit of work to set up ( With a bit of abuse from my wife at the time :} ) But now
I have no problems with it at all.

I will post the setups if anyone is interested.

--
regs conon