[plug] Big HDD in SFF PC

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Sun Dec 10 01:46:42 WST 2006

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Nathan D wrote:

> I have a SFF ASUS P2L-N that has been running IPCop for my home

> purchased a new Seagate ST94813A 40GB 2.5" drive, but have had no joy
> with it.  I spent a long time trying different options in the BIOS to

Why 2.5"? To limit noise? Seems a bit expensive relative to the old PC.

Hard drives used to have a jumper to limit the capacity to 32GB, IIRC.
Does it have one? I suspect unlikely in a current model, but check.

> got this machine.  The only options that I can see right now are
> either getting hold of a second hand smaller hdd, or maybe another
> (newer) SFF machine?

They sound like good options. Use an old drive to boot. It will probably
be noisy, so spin it down after booting. (root on the new drive.)
 Booting off floppy probably isn't so easy with the size of kernels now.

Or get a cheap P-III from eBay.