[plug] Ubuntu 6.06 address resolution.

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 07:23:06 WST 2006

Dave Dartnall wrote:
> Any Ubuntu experts out there?
>
> I thought installing Ubuntu was supposed to be a doddle - but internet
> access is proving to be a big hassle.
> After 'blacklisting' ipv6 and disabling it in Firefox, web sites are now
> accessible, and modifications to Evolution adding numerical addresses
> for mail servers instead of the literal ones has made the mail system
> work but web addresses are not being resolved in the Synaptic Package
> Manager. I can't get additional packages or upgrades...
> All sites respond to ping though.
>
> Anyone else had similar problems?
>
> regards
> Dave Dartnall

Does /etc/resolv.conf contain the correct name resolution server? Are
you running your network by DHCP or static addresses? I don't see why
you'd need to disable so forcefully IPv6 -- is it in use on your network
at all? Do you have a rogue DHCP server perhaps giving out conflicting
addresses? Is your network mask properly configured? Do you have a
unique IPv4 address on your network?

I've had something like what you're getting but only with one of the
problems mentioned above.

Tomasz