[plug] broken ubuntu package manager

Sol Hanna sol.hanna at three.com.au
Tue Dec 12 08:15:15 WST 2006

hi all,

I was just installing some web packages on one of my pcs (Ubuntu Edgy
Eft on x86/32) and the package manager broke. :( The error code I got
was:

---
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing edubuntu-desktop (--purge):
unable to open files list file for package `openoffice.org-evolution':
Input/output error
 edubuntu-desktop
---

...and so on. Now I did 'apt-get --purge' for the above mentioned
packages and now when I 'dpkg -l' for either of them I get the code 'pi'
meaning that they're purged. 'dselect' confirms this.

But I'm still getting this error. In the meanwhile there are a bunch of
packages that won't install and the red-carpet updater thingy won't work
either. (On that note, I should point out that 'tar' won't update, but
the previous version is installed and working.)

Any ideas?

thanks; sol