[plug] hot freeze - not a contradiction in terms

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 13 11:42:01 WST 2006

Hello Kev et al,

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:04:27 +0900
Kev <kdownes at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) wrote:
> > Yeh.. that's what I use. A compressor is different to a vac..
> >

> But the static is essentially the same.  It's the moving air which
> creates the static, not whether you blow it or suck it.  Whist I'm
> sure static does occasionally take out some equipment, I'm convinced
> that it's much over rated.

I don't think its so much the sucking of the air with the vacuum
cleaner as the static build up on the nozzle and pipe. If you vacuum
around on the carpet for a while and then run your hand up and down the
tube you can usually feel the static discharge.

Our new vacuum cleaner has a metal tube so theoretically it would be
possible to ground this to an antistatic point as with other items,
however I still go the compressor route and blow out all the dust
rather than try and suck it up with the vacuum cleaner.

It might work well to have both, a vacuum cleaner or some other air
filtration system posted "near" the case but not necessarily in the
case sucking up all the dust that the air that escapes once it has been
blown free.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,

--