static - was Re: [plug] hot freeze - not a contradiction in terms

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed Dec 13 11:56:04 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 11:42 +0900, Adam Davin wrote:
> Hello Kev et al,
>
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:04:27 +0900
> Kev <kdownes at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) wrote:
> > > Yeh.. that's what I use. A compressor is different to a vac..
> > >

> > But the static is essentially the same.  It's the moving air which
> > creates the static, not whether you blow it or suck it.  Whist I'm
> > sure static does occasionally take out some equipment, I'm convinced
> > that it's much over rated.
>
> I don't think its so much the sucking of the air with the vacuum
> cleaner as the static build up on the nozzle and pipe. If you vacuum
> around on the carpet for a while and then run your hand up and down the
> tube you can usually feel the static discharge.

As Daniel said, the moving air (a fluid) creates the static.  In a
related example, fuel delivery hoses MUST be grounded to prevent static
sparks igniting the fuel because the charge builds up in the hose as
fuel is delivered.

The danger presented in vacuuming your box, rather than blowing with
compressed air, is that you are _extremely_ likely to touch the vacuum
nozzle on some component and discharge the static.  And Daniel, I think
like me you have just been lucky so far with static :-)  It is overrated
in the sense that the likelihood is very remote, but static does destroy
things when it gets a chance :-(

Gavin