[plug] hot freeze - not a contradiction in terms

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Dec 15 10:47:17 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 10:35 +0900, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 09:32 +0900, Steve Boak wrote:
> > On Friday 15 December 2006 02:18, Jim Householder wrote:
> -snip-
> > I may be tempting fate here by mentioning it before having done much testing,
> > but I *seem* to have bypassed the problem by disabling the screen saver. I
> > neglected to say earlier that I am running a KDE desktop, so it *may* be the
> > VIA Unichrome video driver causing the problem.
>
> Hi Steve, I'm the original poster :-)  Our systems are quite different
> in terms of hardware and software (see my original post for details), so
> it may be a long shot to relate the two :-/.  However, my symptoms were
> similar when it happened.  Funnily enough, I disabled the screensaver
> and monitor power saver after the first freeze, but then my system froze
> right in front of me in a small gap in my activity with no screensaver.
> So, if my experience is any guide that kind of puts paid to three of
> your suspicions (screensaver, no activity and major upgrade, that is).
> My system has been stable since I've been venting it better, so I
> *suppose* that answers my suspicions about heat :-/

Well, I had an AMD machine that worked fine until the summer, when it
would mysteriously switch off. I looked at the "CPU health" in the bios
and the temp was reaching 100 deg. It was not terribly full of dust and
blowing it out with canned air made no difference. The fan was rotating,
and the heatsink was on fine. I eventually put on a new heatsink and new
fan, because it bothered me immensely that the thing could get so hot.

Not that it's probably all that relevant to you, but .....

There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629