[plug] hot freeze - not a contradiction in terms

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri Dec 15 10:35:59 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 09:32 +0900, Steve Boak wrote:
> On Friday 15 December 2006 02:18, Jim Householder wrote:
-snip-
> I may be tempting fate here by mentioning it before having done much testing,
> but I *seem* to have bypassed the problem by disabling the screen saver. I
> neglected to say earlier that I am running a KDE desktop, so it *may* be the
> VIA Unichrome video driver causing the problem.

Hi Steve, I'm the original poster :-)  Our systems are quite different
in terms of hardware and software (see my original post for details), so
it may be a long shot to relate the two :-/.  However, my symptoms were
similar when it happened.  Funnily enough, I disabled the screensaver
and monitor power saver after the first freeze, but then my system froze
right in front of me in a small gap in my activity with no screensaver.
So, if my experience is any guide that kind of puts paid to three of
your suspicions (screensaver, no activity and major upgrade, that is).
My system has been stable since I've been venting it better, so I
*suppose* that answers my suspicions about heat :-/

Gavin