[plug] Ubuntu - baaahhh!!!!! Humbug

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 27 11:53:16 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 09:39 +0900, Mike Holland wrote:
> Richard Meyer wrote:
>
> > Now how do I get my ATI X1400 (laptop graphics) working? I see an ATI
> > fglrx driver, but it's not for this card, but I installed it anyway.
>
> Why do you say "it's not for this card"??

It gives a whole list of cards that the driver is meant for - it does
not include the X1400, but does mention about 20 others.

> What did you use in SUSE? If fglrx worked there, it should still. And
> you can probably copy the old xorg.conf .

I downloaded a driver from ATI, after going through their website -
Choose Driver --> Mobile Driver --> X1400 --> Linux --> Download, and
then running the installer and going through the SUSE SAX2 incantation.
I was lead to believe that Ubuntu was quite capable of "sorting itself
out" after the driver was installed.

> > Another thing is the 3945 wifi card which seemed to be OK from the live
> > CD, now shows no response whatsoever. Any Ubuntu-specific ideas there?
>
> More info! What did you try? Does the device appear in the network admin
> GUI?

Will take a look. The irritating thing is that when it was booted from
the Live CD it was quite obviously seeing the card. After installing
from the non-live or alternate or zombie CD it doesn't seem to know
about it.

There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629