[plug] Ubuntu - baaahhh!!!!! Humbug

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Wed Dec 27 18:38:51 WST 2006

On 27/12/2006 at 11:53 AM Richard Meyer wrote:

>Will take a look. The irritating thing is that when it was booted from
>the Live CD it was quite obviously seeing the card. After installing
>from the non-live or alternate or zombie CD it doesn't seem to know
>about it.

This, in my opinion, is the one thing that is going to keep the Linux camp
always in catchup. Some distros are better than others and that varies
with hardware.

I agree with Richard, if it loads and runs in the live or install stage,
what is
different when you do the complete the install.

Oh, I forgot, we did a reboot. SO WHAT HAS CHANGED!!!!!!

The ego I think!
( Forgot to reboot the ego and pay homage to the Linux Guru God!!)

I had a lengthy discussion with a Linux developer a while back about this
very thing. To quote his reply,"ah, we do _funky_ things to to get
everything
to work during install or with the live discs!" Dumb founded, I restated
the
question, "so what changes!" - "Probably a driver or sysmlink did not take"
was the reply. DAH!

After more discussion he did agree that the install process does need a lot
more work to make installs less painful, but, is not necessarily a high
priority.

This makes it hard to sell the virtues of the OS.

Don't get the wrong impression here, I think the the developer gurus do a
great and wondrous job with everything. The problem lies with the end
result.
Many times it just sucks! The gurus don't get a big enough of a dose of
reality, they need to pull their collective heads out of the sand and look
round
a bit more.

OK, so now you know one of my pet hate with Linux. It is still very much
a gourmet OS, when you think about it. (not for everyone yet!)

Mark