[plug] Prevent Gateway from redirecting

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 09:16:16 WST 2006

On 12/30/06, vertito <vertito at aim-consultants.com> wrote:

> i presume you are have a flat network on that subnet as the routing and switch table
> shows there's a direct and shorter route hop to the modem instead of going to the gateway
> first.
>
> why not implement a VLAN ?
> or connect the whole subnet directly to the other interface of the linux box using
> a crossed cable so everything goes to the gateway straight first before the modem,
> as an alternative to switched VLAN network.

The reason being is while I want certain traffic forced through the
gateway, I don't want all traffic forced through the gateway. All
realtime traffic (VoIP for example) is more than welcome to take the
shortest hop. To me, it makes most sense for VoIP to do this, as it's
directly connected to the ADSL modem's switch. Otherwise, if I forced
it through the gateway, it's packets would go to the switch, to
another switch, to the gateway, back to the switch, back to the
original switch, and then out.

For now, I've solved the problem by moving stunnel to the local machine.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au