[plug] Prevent Gateway from redirecting

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 16:50:36 WST 2006

On 12/31/06, Adam Hewitt <ahewitt at ursys.com.au> wrote:

> On 30/12/2006, at 9:16 AM, Timothy White wrote:
>
> > The reason being is while I want certain traffic forced through the
> > gateway, I don't want all traffic forced through the gateway. All
> > realtime traffic (VoIP for example) is more than welcome to take the
> > shortest hop. To me, it makes most sense for VoIP to do this, as it's
> > directly connected to the ADSL modem's switch. Otherwise, if I forced
> > it through the gateway, it's packets would go to the switch, to
> > another switch, to the gateway, back to the switch, back to the
> > original switch, and then out.
>
> But if you had the connection between the linux gateway and the
> router on a different subnet, then the VoIP would sit on that subnet
> and would have nothing to do with the linux box.

Ah, but then how would we login to the VoIP box to change settings?
Unless of course that all gets routed through the gateway, which I
assume it would...

I can see this working, but just getting tricky. For now, the solution
of putting iptables on the machine's that need it is working fine. And
it means I don't have to change too much before I leave for Brisbane,
and there is less to break while I'm away :p

Thanks for the suggestions though. I can now see ways to make it work,
but think the best solution in this case, is iptables on the machines
actually making the connection, then just one rule on the nat OUT
table does the trick!

Thanks

Tim
--