[plug] Prevent Gateway from redirecting

Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) daniel at flashware.net
Sun Dec 31 17:14:22 WST 2006

Timothy White wrote:
> On 12/31/06, Adam Hewitt <ahewitt at ursys.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> On 30/12/2006, at 9:16 AM, Timothy White wrote:
>>
>> > The reason being is while I want certain traffic forced through the
>> > gateway, I don't want all traffic forced through the gateway. All
>> > realtime traffic (VoIP for example) is more than welcome to take the
>> > shortest hop. To me, it makes most sense for VoIP to do this, as it's
>> > directly connected to the ADSL modem's switch. Otherwise, if I forced
>> > it through the gateway, it's packets would go to the switch, to
>> > another switch, to the gateway, back to the switch, back to the
>> > original switch, and then out.
>>
>> But if you had the connection between the linux gateway and the
>> router on a different subnet, then the VoIP would sit on that subnet
>> and would have nothing to do with the linux box.
>
> Ah, but then how would we login to the VoIP box to change settings?
> Unless of course that all gets routed through the gateway, which I
> assume it would...
Without sounding like a grouch - I admire what you're trying to do, but
in all reality - how often do you need to login to the VoIP box to
change settings? And if you're in Brisbane, and the VoIP is on the same
subnet as the ADSL router, do a port forward and then access it through
the web interface.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers; Dan.