[plug] Prevent Gateway from redirecting

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 17:37:55 WST 2006

On 12/31/06, Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) <daniel at flashware.net> wrote:
> Without sounding like a grouch - I admire what you're trying to do, but
> in all reality - how often do you need to login to the VoIP box to
> change settings? And if you're in Brisbane, and the VoIP is on the same
> subnet as the ADSL router, do a port forward and then access it through
> the web interface.

Hmmm, you just made me think of something else... Port forwards...
I think in my situation, really the only traffic I want through the
linux box, is http via port 80 (which seems to go through just fine
until you for example ping the host, in which case you'll then get a
ICMP Redirect, and then it won't go via the proxy), and traffic for a
certain host, on a particular port, for SSL tunnelling.
I have port forwards from the ADSL box to a few different machines on
the internal network, and don't really want to have to make them all
go through the Linux box.

So I think, that the best solution in my situation was moving the
iptables stuff for that particular application, to the client machine,
rather than the gateway. And right now, you'd be surprised how often
we need to log into the VoIP box, which is a bit sad, so much for
things just working 99% of the time. (Although it seems to be fixed
now).

Oh well, it's all working now, thanks for all the comments!

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au