[plug] Bluetooth headset connection issue

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Thu Feb 2 09:15:31 WST 2006

Hello Clare,

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:48:29 +0800
Clare Johnstone <claregj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/1/06, Adam Davin <byteme-its at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have recently been playing around with bluetooth (having got a
> > bluetooth phone, headset and usb dongle...) and so I set about to
> > get skype to use the bluetooth headset.
> >
> > Short version, is that it works great... first time...
> > I get "Can't connect RFCOMM channel: Permisson denied.
> >
> Hi Adam,
> I have been trying out Bluetooth between phone and laptop
> (with a PCMCIA card). I find that once I bind the device it won't
> easily let go and
> the magic command to enable a retry is:
> rfcomm release /dev/rfcomm0

I haven't played around with connecting the phone much as yet, I don't
think the headset uses the /dev/rfcomm connection. When I do connect my
phone I get a /dev/bluetooth/rfcommX device, however, the headset
registers as an audio device and thus shows up under /dev/dsp1.

I did some more searching on google last night and came up with this
link.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7902368&forum_id=1881

which suggested that it was only a power cycle of the headset that
caused the problem. I retested my headset here, and it does seem that
just stopping btsco and restarting it does allow me to reconnect to the
headset. It is only when I turn it off and back on that it causes
problems.

The link suggests that the headset is not remembering the "link key"
that is set up during the pairing, hence when I delete the key
from /var/lib/bluetooth/<btaddress>/linksys it asks for a pin and
recreates the key and all is happy, until, of course, I power cycle
the headset.

Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to work out why the headset is
not remembering the pairing after turning it off and back on,

Any thoughts or ideas very welcome, I am going to head back to google
and dig some more...

One other thing, the page above mentions "hstest" from the bluez suite
of utilities, but I can't find it, I don't know if any one else knows
where it might be hiding..

Thanks and Regards,

--

Adam Davin