[plug] kubuntu vs sid

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Thu Feb 2 09:30:10 WST 2006

Personally, for a laptop, I'd go with Kubuntu.  I use Gentoo on my
Personal workstations and Debian on all our servers, but for ease of
setup, installation, up to date packages, and a system where everything
just "works", I use Ubuntu/Kubuntu on my lappie (a Compaq M700, old yes,
but still does what I need).

I'm not sure what it was, but I think I'm much the same as you with my
laptop, wanting to become productive ASAP with it, as opposed to my
desktop, where I can afford to leave it compiling for a week and tweak
the hell out of it.

My experience with Ubuntu has been better than Kubuntu, I must say, but
I believe with 5.10 they are about on par with each other in the
"everything just works" stakes :P  I had initial problems with earlier
Kubuntu installers not completely correctly or rendering the system
unbootable (without a trusty bootCD of course), so for the last few
releases, I'd done an Ubuntu install with KDE loaded over the top

Shannon

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Chris Caston
Sent: Wednesday, 1 February 2006 6:29 PM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: [plug] kubuntu vs sid

Hello,

I'm purchasing a new Twinhead Durabook in a few days times and will
promptly shrink the xp partition to about 10 gb and then install a KDE
based Debian system with grub to choose between them.

I originally intended to install kubuntu on my current ITC notebook but
could not get the 2.6 kernel to boot so ended up just installing sarge
with a 2.4 and then upgrading to sid.

I have never installed ubuntu/kubuntu (always used woody, sarge or sid)
myself but found found supporting a friend that used ubuntu to setup a
Moodle server to be a bit of hassle because a lot of packages I expected
to see in Debian were not present.

So what do you recommend? Using sid and the apt-get installing
everything and setting up the system myself or installing kubuntu?

I intend to become productive with the laptop quickly rather than play
around with different distros.

regards,

Chris

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au