[plug] kubuntu vs sid

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Thu Feb 2 12:24:46 WST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 09:30, Shannon Carver wrote:
> Personally, for a laptop, I'd go with Kubuntu.  I use Gentoo on my
> Personal workstations and Debian on all our servers, but for ease of
> setup, installation, up to date packages, and a system where everything
> just "works", I use Ubuntu/Kubuntu on my lappie (a Compaq M700, old yes,
> but still does what I need).
>
> I'm not sure what it was, but I think I'm much the same as you with my
> laptop, wanting to become productive ASAP with it, as opposed to my
> desktop, where I can afford to leave it compiling for a week and tweak
> the hell out of it.
>
> My experience with Ubuntu has been better than Kubuntu, I must say, but
> I believe with 5.10 they are about on par with each other in the
> "everything just works" stakes :P  I had initial problems with earlier
> Kubuntu installers not completely correctly or rendering the system
> unbootable (without a trusty bootCD of course), so for the last few
> releases, I'd done an Ubuntu install with KDE loaded over the top
>
> Shannon

I replied to this one directly to Shanon by accident so here it is for
the list.

I would like to be able to play around with various server software as
well (while on the road or at my gfs place) like open-xchange, apache2
and Asterisk. Maybe I just need to setup at home and get a data plan
through Three and use ssh.

Is it going to be just as easy to find or use these things with kubuntu?
Sid apt sources/ packages usually work in it if kubuntu doesn't have it?

All in all I hope the notebook can actually replace my current desktop
so I don't need to spend time and petrol driving home all the time.

regards,

Chris